Thursday, December 29, 2011

Resolution #3: "It Has Been Two Whole Years Since I've Moved..."

When I walked in tonight, Tim knew something was wrong. It wasn’t really that big of a deal, but it had irritated me to the point where my energy showed it. 

We live in a gated community. However, it’s not one of those hot shot gated communities with a security guard checking IDs at the entrance. No, all you have to do here is swipe a card or wait for the car in front of you to do the same and you are let in. I do think it’s kind of silly, actually. I mean, I suppose it makes people feel safer, but since anyone can get in anyway, I don’t really see the point. 

Anyhow, the gate was broken last week. This week it was fixed, but my name is no longer in the directory so I can’t call my cell phone to let myself in (Tim uses the key card). Unfortunately, at midnight, there aren’t a lot of people coming into the complex to follow in. I decided to settle in and camp out for a while and reminded myself to call the office first thing in the morning to get this straightened out. 

Suddenly, I saw a car coming from the inside of the complex and thought to myself “well shit, I don’t want to be here all night - I’ll just drive around and enter in the exit gate”. I positioned my car to make the tight turn into the exit gate when the car that has just come out actually stops, blocking me from the gate and allowing the gate to close behind them. 

Seriously??? 

I roll down my window to explain to them that I am a resident (and show them my rear view window residence tag) and to let them know that I’m having trouble with my gate code. Of course, they didn’t roll down their window; they simply gave me a look of disapproval and condescendingly pointed at the machine where I’m supposed to put the entry code in. I honked out of frustration and shouted out the window “I live here! This thing is broken! It’s been broken for a few days!” 

They patiently wait until the gate comes to a complete close behind them and they leave. 

Less than five seconds later, another car comes to exit as well. They drive through quickly and I drive in. 

I can only hope car #1 saw this take place. 

Look, I get what was going on... but come on! Be realistic! If you don’t let me in, someone else is going to as soon as you leave. And if it really bothers you to the point where you feel the need to play God at the gate, it’s time to move to Anthem! (For those of you who don’t live in Las Vegas, see “pretentious gated and secured housing community”.) 

This is not the reason for my third resolution... but it definitely compelled me to write about it tonight. 

Resolution #3: Our House... Is A Very, Very, Very Fine House 

I’m definitely not looking to buy a house... not yet. However, my one bedroom apartment has certainly gotten smaller over the last few months and the idea of renting a larger place has been on my mind a lot lately. 

Then, a few weeks ago, Tim and I went to PetSmart to get some things for Bailey and they were having an adoption day. I can say with complete certainty that if we had a place with a backyard, one of those dogs would have gone home with us that day. 

I haven’t been able to stop thinking about getting a house since then. And it wasn’t until this morning that I decided to make it my third resolution. And when King Shithead of Apartment Manor wouldn’t let me into my own complex, I knew it was the right decision. 

Tim and I have talked about it and we both know it’s going to be a major financial commitment to rent a house versus an apartment. A two-bedroom, two bathroom will not only cost more in rent, but it will cost more to furnish. And a dog isn’t going to be cheap either. 

However, it’s something that has become really important to me. My mom was thrilled when I told her and is already keeping her eyes out for rentals in their neighborhood. I never thought I would be excited about living so close to my family... but I really, really am. I would love to be able to see my nephew more often (my brother and sister in law live in the same neighborhood) and it’s in a terrific location. 

Tomorrow morning, I am going to call my manager for two reasons: get my name back on the gate code machine and find out when my lease is up. 

Anyone know where I can get a LOT of boxes? I already have the eggs I need for my neighbor....

2 comments:

  1. Classic! I love it. This was funny to me. And it makes me happy to imagine having a dog again!

    Nicely written! :)

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Costco, Sam's Club, and liquor stores are the places we always hit up for boxes when we moved!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete